MLA Bowinn Ma has been sponsoring community scholarships for secondary school graduates in North Vancouver since 2018. Each year, three Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarships are awarded to graduating students from Carson Graham Secondary, Sutherland Secondary, and the Squamish Nation.
“I have been helped by so many in my community and this is an opportunity to give back,” said MLA Ma. “Young people are our future and my hope is that this investment will encourage them to continue building a better world.”
In 2021, MLA Ma will be sponsoring three additional $500 scholarships for a total of six scholarships: three Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Awards and three Bowinn Ma, MLA COVID-19 Pandemic Leadership Awards.
Each Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Award recipient is a graduating student from Sutherland Secondary, Carson Graham Secondary, or the Squamish Nation who:
- Is enrolled in a post-secondary institution;
- Has demonstrated a commitment to social justice; and
- Has overcome barriers or disadvantages in their life.
Each of the three new Bowinn Ma, MLA COVID-19 Pandemic Leadership Awards will be granted to a graduating high school student from Sutherland Secondary, Carson Graham Secondary, or the Squamish Nation who:
- Is enrolled in post-secondary education (university, college, or trades); and
- Has gone above and beyond in demonstrating leadership amongst their peers or in the community furing the COVID-19 pandemic.
These scholarships are personally-funded by MLA Ma and administered through either the North Vancouver School District or the Squamish Nation. Recipients are recommended by the scholarship committees of Carson Graham Secondary School, Sutherland Secondary School, and the Squamish Nation. Contact your school or Nation to inquire about their scholarship application and recommendation processes.
2021 Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Recipients
- Nikayla Allen, Sutherland Secondary School
- Ashton Ying, Carson Graham Secondary School
2021 Bowinn Ma, MLA COVID-19 Pandemic Leadership Award Recipients (Special Edition!)
- Adam Yahav, Sutherland Secondary School
Camille Mantilla Correa, Carson Graham Secondary School
2020 Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Recipients
2019 Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Recipients
- Brandon Brueckert, Carson Graham Secondary School (Squamish Nation)
- Maria Schoinoplakakis, Sutherland Secondary School
- Angelina Sommer, Carson Graham Secondary School
2018 Bowinn Ma, MLA Social Justice Scholarship Recipients