NORTH VANCOUVER – Local MLA Bowinn Ma is welcoming $252,500 through the province’s BC Arts Council Grant Program for community projects that will create new programs that encourage more inclusivity and accessibility in the creative sector, including those that support emerging Indigenous artists.
“Local arts organizations are essential to a vibrant and creative community,” said Ma. “Equipped with this funding, more creators and storytellers on the North Shore will have the ability to share their art and help drive the creative economy.”
Recipients in North Vancouver benefiting from this latest round of grants include:
- BC Photography and Media Arts Society: $148,200
- North Vancouver Community Arts Council: $35,000
- North Vancouver Museum and Archives Commission $48,000
- Gordon and Marion Smith Foundation for Young Artists: $6,000
- Individuals receiving Arts Awards in Creative Writing:
- Janine P. Cross: $11,000
- Andrea Superstein: $4,500
Budget 2019 announced an additional $15 million over the next three years to the BC Arts Council, bringing its annual budget to $34 million in 2019-20.
In addition to new programs, this investment will also enable the council to further build on the funding increase provided in 2018 to enhance the capacity of arts and culture organizations in more than 200 communities.