The provincial government has installed a total of 16 portable digital message signs along bus road routes between the Lions Gate Bridge, Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, and ahead of the on-ramps and off-ramps along Highway 1 on the North Shore.
By informing drivers with real-time information about traffic delays, lane closures, and incidents, these signs are intended to improve traffic flow, prevent secondary collisions, and lower gas emissions. Drivers can make an informed decision to select alternative routes when there is traffic congestion.
These signs are in place as a pilot project that will last between six to 12 months. If the pilot project proves to be successful, permanent digital message signs could be installed.
“Real-time information will help drivers navigate unpredictable traffic conditions on the North Shore, especially during busy times of the day,” said Bowinn Ma, MLA for North Vancouver-Lonsdale, in a statement. “Through this project, and the work of the Integrated North Shore Transportation Strategy, our government is delivering solutions that will prevent collisions and help people get home to their families safely and quickly.”
The provincial government, City of North Vancouver, District of North Vancouver, and District of Vancouver are sharing the cost of the pilot project’s lease of the digital signs of about $23,000 per month.
The signs can be found at the following locations:
Highway 1 eastbound between the Cypress Bowl Road on-ramp and 22nd Street off-ramp
- 15th Street northbound between Kings Avenue and Lawson Avenue
- Highway 1 eastbound between 15th Street on-ramp and Taylor Way off-ramp
- Capilano Road northbound between Garden Avenue and Fullerton Avenue
- Highway 1 westbound between Capilano Road off-ramp and Westview Drive on-ramp
- Highway 1 eastbound between Westview Drive on-ramp and Lonsdale Avenue off-ramp
- Lonsdale Avenue southbound between 29th Street and 27th Street
- Lonsdale Avenue northbound between 21st Street and 22nd Street
- Highway 1 westbound between the Lonsdale on-ramp and Lynn Valley off-ramp
- Boulevard Crescent northbound between 19th Street E and 21st Street E
- Lynn Valley Road southbound between 27th Street and St. Christopher Road
- Mountain Highway southbound between Kirkstone Road and 18th Street E
- Mt. Seymour Parkway westbound between Riverside Drive W and Seymour Boulevard
- Highway 1 westbound between the Hastings Street on-ramp and 1st Street off-ramp
- West Georgia Street westbound between Bidwell Street and Cardero Street
- Marine Drive eastbound at 17th Street